Saturday 31 August 2013

Can I run on holiday?

I'm going on holiday! Finally, after an insanely stressful year, I am off for a two week break and I couldn't be looking forward to it more. It's nothing ground-breaking: I'm heading over to Ireland to see lots of relatives first and then off to the Algarve to catch a bit of sun (trying to make the transition between translucent white and beige), but I can't wait.

Now my primary aim for my holidays is to relax. Recently, particularly the last few weeks, I have been really feeling the pressure. I'm juggling a new job (night shift work) with finishing my MA dissertation, finding a place to live for September and (of course) learning to run. My MA year was also fraught with various dramas, many of which I have only just been able to leave behind.

And yet while I do feel that I deserve a break, I don't want to lose the progress that I've made so far. I've made it so far as to be able to run 7k and now that I've signed up to run the Regent's Park 10k in November I'm especially determined to continue to improve.

So my big dilemma is can I run on holiday? 

They make it look so bloody easy

The Irish hotel we stay in is in quite an isolated spot halfway down a road, so I really have no idea where I would go. I wouldn't really feel comfortable running on the road (I'm not really sure it's terribly safe). The hotel does have its own grounds (35 acres according to their website, although I've never explored this properly before), so could I have a go at running around there? Or would I look like a bit of a numpty?

Then we're on to Portugal. I've never been to here before so I don't really know what to expect, but what I do know is that I HATE running in the heat (just check out my Race For Life post). I've seen so many inspiring posts about running on holiday, but the idea of running along the beach in 35 degree heat just doesn't do anything for me.

SO, is it worth packing my trainers and trying to get a few miles in while I'm away? Or do I sack it in for two weeks and hope for the best when I return?

Harris x

No comments:

Post a Comment